Tuesday 20 November 2018

Want to be truly self-disciplined? Start each day like this.


Philippians 1: 10 AMP
“so that you may learn to recognize and treasure what is excellent [identifying the best, and distinguishing moral differences], and that you may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ [actually living lives that lead others away from sin];”
Make your bed – it was the hardest thing for me. I heard my mom saying “wisdom comes with age.” She sure knows what she is talking about. As you know I just turned 55 years old, I know ancient! Nevertheless, I have learned some important things that I try and practice.  I used to hate making my bed as a child and young woman. In order to start my day right I had to make my bed. It seemed to be the hardest thing I had for the day. I soon realized once my bed was made I was ready to face the day. At the office I hated filing away documents. They always seemed to disappear.  Not too long ago I helped implement a filing system that made this place shine from their competitive. Why? When our office was audited they could find all the evidence to each and every query.
Be on time. I don’t know about you, but I hate it when people come in late to a meeting. We can sit up to 20 minutes waiting for someone. I believe that it is important to be punctual. It shows your respect for the other persons time. Or do I have this all wrong?
Plan ahead. I am not in a position to plan ahead because my life isn’t as stable as most other people. I can only plan ahead to a certain extent. But I do like to plan ahead on many things that I feel is important to me. I also like to consult with God especially on my plans.
Correction. As I grow older I realise that the correction of any of my bosses in the past was a learning curve in my life. I am so glad that I wasn’t the one sulking and then running away. I never retaliated and I tried to understand their point of view.  I read that Gandhi said “There’s always a limit to self-indulgence, but none to self-restraint.”
Prayer
Heavenly Father, O LORD my God, today I want to pray asking You to reveal to me the unmanageable areas in my life today. Help me deal with my unruly thoughts and feelings. Help me to stop making excuses and face the truth even when it hurts. I struggle with feeling sorry for myself constantly, please help me get over this issue. Please help me set goals that are attainable in my current situation.  Please teach me to recognize and treasure what is excellent. Humbly I am praying in Jesus Christ name Amen.
Word for Today:
Proverbs 13: 10, “Through pride and presumption come nothing but strife, but [skilful and godly] wisdom is with those who welcome [well-advised] counsel.”
RELATED RESOURCES:
Join in today with a one-minute scripture, and a personal inspirational message, and prayer, with Yvette van Niekerk's book, Daily Devotional Ebenezer. Order your eBook copy here today.

CONNECT:
You can follow along with Yvette van Niekerk at her 
blog, Google G+
 and on Instagram.

Inspired by today’s devotion? Share it with someone!

Other sites you may want to follow me: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...