Wednesday 13 January 2021

Love in Action

by Yvette van Niekerk



"Gracious speech is like clover honey - good taste to the soul, quick energy for the body." Proverbs 16: 24 MSG


"Here is a simple rule of thumb for behaviour: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them! If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that's charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that." Luke 6: 31 - 34 MSG


"Love is not a feeling, its an act of your will." Do you agree with me when it comes to the meaning of Love? I believe love is all about what we are doing for each other, it involves actions. I am reminded that love costs us something.


Key elements of love

  1. Love is a kind of actions.
  2. Spending quality time together.
  3. Speaking loving words.
  4. Being Thoughtful with presents.
  5. Physical affection

Does any of the above communicate love more effectively to you? I realise my communication of love is different from the way my husband understands love and receives it.


Love is a kind of action. We express love through serving our partners, through seeking to meet their needs in a specific way. Ask your partner what kinds of actions are most meaningful to them.

Spending quality time together. I love it when my husband just comes and sits with me. We don't have to touch each other or talk but his there with me. Then when we are all alone we are able to talk together, and when he takes me on a date night eating together is so much fun.


We all know that words can kill anything if they aren't used in the right way. Loving words have great power and in building my husband I'm built. Speak kindly to each other. I know my husband loves hearing words of affirmation as it allows him to feel appreciated.


I know my husband loves to eat "biltong" its dried meat and he enjoys the taste and I love buying some for him when he doesn't expect it. Every day is a special occasion to my mind so I try and do this as often as I can. 


I actually never really think about touching my husband, but I have come to realise he needs me to put my hand on his shoulder or just touch his back when I sit with him. I believe he feels loved when I show him affection. As a rule, we always walk around the shopping centre holding hands, I like the security of his strong hands over mine. I love it when he just gives me a kiss out of nowhere. There are other things that show affection such as lovemaking, sexual foreplay and a back massage every now and then are always a good idea.


Marriages are always interesting and we need to build our marriages. The sad part is people are living in a "throwaway society" there is nothing we cannot replace, even our marriages can fall into this category. 


Prayer


Father God, today I want to pray and ask that You will guide each one of us when it comes to our spouses. Give each one of us wisdom and insight and most of all understanding. Remind each one of us that we all are people, we all struggle with emotions, our personalities differ, our desires and frustrations are different. Lord help us to remember out spouses are people we genuinely care for and love that is why we married them in the first place. Bless each marriage today, give us the love we need to share with each other. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...