Skip to main content

Heart

Proverbs 4:23 (AMP) “Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life.” THOUGHT This afternoon was… well, rather memorable in the most unexpected way. Mom was sitting outside, enjoying one of her quiet moments with a cigarette in hand and the sun gently warming her shoulders. I decided to join her, thinking it would be a simple, peaceful visit. I was mistaken. Because, as it turns out, Mom had been doing research. On “The Facebook,” no less. Now when my mom says “The Facebook,” one must prepare oneself, because it usually means she has discovered something both fascinating and slightly alarming. And today’s discovery? Wrinkles. More specifically… how to get rid of them. With great seriousness, she began explaining what she had learned over the past few days. There was talk of smoother skin, fewer lines, and something called a derma roller, which, according to her, appears to be nothing short of miraculous. “I think I must buy one,” she said, quite decisively. Well. I could hardly let her embark on such a mission when I happen to own not one, but two. So off I went to fetch one for her. You would have thought I had handed her treasure. She examined it with such delight, such hope… and in that moment, I realised something that stayed with me long after the conversation ended: In her heart, she is still young. Still beautiful. Still very much the woman she has always been. And truthfully? To me, she always will be. Yes, her body is frail. Yes, she has lost weight. Yes, time has left its gentle (and not-so-gentle) marks. But her heart… oh, her heart is full. Full of love for me, my sister, my brother. Full of care. Full of a constant, quiet pouring out. And it made me think of Proverbs: “Keep and guard your heart…” Because the heart, that is where life truly begins. Not in smooth skin. Not in appearances. Not in what “The Facebook” promises. But in what we carry within us. What we allow in. What we hold onto. What we choose to become. You see, guarding your heart is not about building walls so high that nothing can touch you. It is about being mindful. About choosing kindness when it would be easier to withdraw. About speaking gently when you could speak sharply. About loving people, even when life feels heavy. It is about becoming the kind of person who reflects God… not perfectly, but sincerely. Because when your heart is right, your words begin to soften. Your actions begin to change. Your life begins to flow differently. And perhaps most importantly… You begin to see people, not as they appear on the outside, but as they truly are. Precious. Loved. And still beautiful. APPLY TODAY Take a quiet moment today and ask yourself: What am I allowing into my heart? Choose to guard it well, not with fear, but with wisdom. And where you can… let kindness lead. Even in the smallest moments. Especially in the smallest moments. PRAYER Dear Lord, please help us to guard our hearts with care and wisdom. Teach us what to hold onto… and what to gently let go of. Help us to speak with kindness, to act with love, and to reflect You in the way we live and treat others. Strengthen our hearts, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. And Lord, please be especially near to our families. Help us to love them well, to encourage them, and to care for them with patience and grace. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. LET’S TALK Have you ever had a moment like this… where someone you love reminded you of what truly matters? Or perhaps you’ve caught yourself worrying about things on the outside, while your heart quietly needed attention on the inside? I would love to hear from you … How do you guard your heart in everyday life? And what has God been showing you lately about what really matters? Feel free to share in the comments, your story might be exactly what someone else needs to hear today. A Small Note (From a Proud Mom Moment) Before you dash off, because I know life does tend to keep us all rather busy, I wanted to share something close to my heart. My daughter has written a book, and I must admit, I am just a tiny bit proud (and by tiny, I mean quite a lot). If you’d like to take a peek, you can find it here: https://a.co/d/0cCfnyui

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#never #destroyed

https://goo.gl/xK6bTg 2 Corinthians 4: 8-9AMP “We are pressured in every way [hedged in], but not crushed; perplexed [unsure of finding a way out], but not driven to despair; hunted down and persecuted, but not deserted [to stand alone]; struck down, but never destroyed;” I realized that my emotions are something that can cause me to feel pressure and hedged in. My circumstances seem impossible and I feel that there is no way I am going to make it. Then it’s time to check what is going on in your personal life.  Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating properly? Do you take a break from time to time? If I don’t get enough sleep it seems despair is knocking at my door, and I feel miserable. I just cannot move forward, I want to curl up and died. Just because I am tired and there seems to be no way out. Emotions have a way of controlling each one of us. I realized that I will never be destroyed because there is a way forward.  God gave me common sense an...

You are a Blessing to me!

Working in a multiracial office is always interesting, and my story today is one about sharing and looking out for each other.    Our cleaning lady doesn’t earn much and I doubt even if they are paying her ‘mini mum wages’.   Nevertheless the people in our office know this and worry about her.    One of the young ladies decided to give her a newspaper with all the latest add in it.   As she paged through the paper she sat next to her and asked her ‘what do you like’.    Looking at the stuff on the page she pick out a couple of things that seemed impossible to own and said to this young girl.   I like this and I would love to have one of these. Without her knowledge the Human Resource division made a collection and they then assigned the task to the young lady to buy the things Judy wanted. We gave her, her gifts today.   I was amazed at her gratefulness, tears of joy running down her face and all she could say was “T...

Help Me Stay True in Giving God His Tithe

Can I be real with you for a minute? Tithing is something I wrestle with. I try my best to be faithful, giving to the best of my ability. But let's be honest, sometimes I look around and see others who seem to be blessed in ways I'm not. They have this financial ease, this "caliber" of blessing, that can feel a world away from my own reality. And in those moments of doubt, a quiet, gentle voice reminds me: I am blessed. God does provide. He has come through for me more times than I can count, often in ways I didn't even see until later. He's always there, picking me up when I've lost it and guiding me when I'm blind to the path. My heart is so grateful for that. But my thinking still needs work. My human nature kicks in and whispers, "I earned this. I worked for this salary." It’s a constant battle to get my heart aligned with the truth. And the truth is found in verses like this: “A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the ...