Tuesday 25 April 2017

Word Fast today: Sarcasm


James 3: 8 – 10 (ERV)

“But no one can control the tongue.  It is wild and evil, full of deadly poison.  We use our tongues to praise our Lord and Father, but then we curse people who were created in God’s likeness. These praises and curses come from the same mouth.  My brothers and sisters, this should not happen.”

Psalms 141: 3 (ERV)

A praise song of David.

“LORD, help me control what I say.  Don’t let me say anything bad.”

We need an antioxidant to cleanse our words and sarcasm is probably one of the worst forms of speech.  The word sarcasm is derived from the Greek verb “sarkazein.”  It is literally “to tear flesh like a dog.”  Hectic, can you see what it said:  “to tear flesh like a dog.”  This is a vile and painful way of using words.

When being sarcastic we make painful jokes about the other person, my mom always says:  “many a truth is said in jest.”  It is almost common practices and we tend to know how to be sarcastic and use this weapon very well.  Today I want to encourage you and ask you to think about your words and get rid of sarcasm.  Let us focus on building one another up and start by being compassionate and kind always look at encouraging others.  Let not words of cursing come out of our mouths but words of praise and let us focus our attention on not speaking anything bad.


Lord God, please help me control what I say, and don’t let me speak badly. Please, Lord, place a watch before my mouth, my thoughts and my thinking.  Help me portrait Your words, in speech and on actions.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...