Wednesday 8 March 2017

Book Review : The Secret Code of the Dead


Name of the Book                          :           The Secret code of the Dead
Author                                                :           Charlie Purple
Personal Quality Rating             :           5
[My personal quality rating is a 5, the score that I give to the book on a scale of 0 to 5 based on my personal liking/disliking of the book.  0 is bad and 5’s are great!]
Summary
A Science fiction Novel is written using the setting of Dulwich, London as well as some travel to Karbala, Iraq.  This short story of 80 pages is beautifully written and tells a story of four friends.  The main character in the story is David who has been in love with Jen forever.  As a reporter, he has been assigned to travel to Karbala to report on the atrocities that have been taking place in Iraq.  On his travels to Iraq, Karbala he makes friends with Mustafa a taxi driver.
While back in London Hadrian his other friend who is a psychic and or medium is dabbling with some funky stuff.  As I read the story I cried and laughed and cried, the unraveling of this story is so amazing I enjoyed it once I sat down to read it.  The writer has probably some insights into the supernatural and is using this in his book. 
The characters in the book are so interesting, I enjoyed the four main characters and definitely loved David and Jen.  Mustafa was funny and I can picture him in real live as well as his beautiful wife Layla.
Social / Historical Content
This is a modern day story which depicts real life events taking place in the world of today.  I believe the purpose of the story is to enlighten the reader of perhaps a supernatural realm.  A mystic and dream world that would be so wonderful, which in away made me wish it could happen.  The reality of the story is that we are dealing with some strange people around us.
People all over the world are basically the same, and we all go through different stages of life.  I felt David’s pain and I also felt his joy. 
Writing Style
The writing style as I see it is evocative and commonplace.  It was an easy read and I loved the characters depicted in the story.  The writer knew what he wanted to share with his readers.  I also enjoyed telling the story. 
The story narrates a circle of friends and their experience which intertwines with each other.  How they deal with something that comes into play unexpectedly.  The fact that they stand together was amazing.
My Thoughts
This science fiction novel is a real page-turner, I enjoyed all the characters depicted in the story and there was time I laughed and times that I cried.  I could picture some of the events and it was well written.   To be honest I believe the writer enjoyed telling the story.  He knew what he wanted to share and it was truly a lovely story. 
The fiction was almost real; you have to read the story to get the gist of it.  I hope to see more of his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...