Skip to main content

How Do I Use Social Media? A Quiet Corner in a Loud World

By Yvette van Niekerk I'll be honest with you, I am not what you would call a social media person. Not in the way the world seems to expect these days, where feeds are scrolled like scripture and notifications arrive like urgent telegrams. No, my relationship with social media is something quieter, something more like wandering through a garden at my own pace rather than rushing through a crowded marketplace. Let me take you on a little tour of my digital world. Facebook is where I go to simply be. Not to perform, not to debate, not to announce. Just to look and to appreciate. I find myself drawn to the most beautiful, unhurried corners of it: the crochet patterns that make my fingers itch with creative longing. The flower arrangements that remind me that there is still so much loveliness in this world if you know where to look. And then, of course, there are the faces of family, a photo here, a post there, small windows into lives I love. I don't comment on everything. I don't need to. Sometimes witnessing is enough. Facebook, for me, is a quiet gallery, and I am a grateful visitor. LinkedIn serves an entirely different purpose. This is where I step into my professional shoes: focused, intentional, purposeful. I engage with ideas that sharpen my thinking and challenge my perspective. I like and repost the content that resonates, not out of habit, but because something in it is worth passing on. LinkedIn is the boardroom to Facebook's living room, and I try to show up in each space accordingly. Then there is YouTube, and oh, what a gift it has been to my spirit. This is where I sit at the feet of teachers I deeply respect, Pastor Robert Morris, Vlad, and others whose words carry the kind of weight that lingers long after the screen goes dark. There is something sacred about being able to pause, rewind, and truly hear a message again. YouTube has become, for me, less of an entertainment platform and more of a sanctuary. A place to be fed. TikTok now there is the unexpected delight. I did not anticipate loving it, and yet here I am, drawn in by the music and the dancing. There is a joy in it that is almost childlike, a reminder that not everything needs to be serious or significant. Sometimes you just need to watch someone move to a song that makes your heart lift, and smile, and feel a little lighter than you did before. But here is what I want you to understand about all of it: I do not binge. I do not scroll out of anxiety or compulsion. I look when I feel like it, and I think there is a quiet wisdom in that boundary, even if it is one I arrived at more by nature than by intention. And sometimes, often, honestly life is simply too full. Too rich with the real and the present and the immediate. The blog goes unwritten. The feed goes unchecked. And somehow, the world keeps turning just fine. Maybe that is the most honest thing I can tell you about my social media life: it fits around my living, not the other way around. And for now, that feels exactly right. What about you? How does social media fit into your life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#never #destroyed

https://goo.gl/xK6bTg 2 Corinthians 4: 8-9AMP “We are pressured in every way [hedged in], but not crushed; perplexed [unsure of finding a way out], but not driven to despair; hunted down and persecuted, but not deserted [to stand alone]; struck down, but never destroyed;” I realized that my emotions are something that can cause me to feel pressure and hedged in. My circumstances seem impossible and I feel that there is no way I am going to make it. Then it’s time to check what is going on in your personal life.  Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating properly? Do you take a break from time to time? If I don’t get enough sleep it seems despair is knocking at my door, and I feel miserable. I just cannot move forward, I want to curl up and died. Just because I am tired and there seems to be no way out. Emotions have a way of controlling each one of us. I realized that I will never be destroyed because there is a way forward.  God gave me common sense an...

You are a Blessing to me!

Working in a multiracial office is always interesting, and my story today is one about sharing and looking out for each other.    Our cleaning lady doesn’t earn much and I doubt even if they are paying her ‘mini mum wages’.   Nevertheless the people in our office know this and worry about her.    One of the young ladies decided to give her a newspaper with all the latest add in it.   As she paged through the paper she sat next to her and asked her ‘what do you like’.    Looking at the stuff on the page she pick out a couple of things that seemed impossible to own and said to this young girl.   I like this and I would love to have one of these. Without her knowledge the Human Resource division made a collection and they then assigned the task to the young lady to buy the things Judy wanted. We gave her, her gifts today.   I was amazed at her gratefulness, tears of joy running down her face and all she could say was “T...

Help Me Stay True in Giving God His Tithe

Can I be real with you for a minute? Tithing is something I wrestle with. I try my best to be faithful, giving to the best of my ability. But let's be honest, sometimes I look around and see others who seem to be blessed in ways I'm not. They have this financial ease, this "caliber" of blessing, that can feel a world away from my own reality. And in those moments of doubt, a quiet, gentle voice reminds me: I am blessed. God does provide. He has come through for me more times than I can count, often in ways I didn't even see until later. He's always there, picking me up when I've lost it and guiding me when I'm blind to the path. My heart is so grateful for that. But my thinking still needs work. My human nature kicks in and whispers, "I earned this. I worked for this salary." It’s a constant battle to get my heart aligned with the truth. And the truth is found in verses like this: “A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the ...