Skip to main content

The Cloak and the Quiet Call

When God interrupts an ordinary day The field stretched out in the early morning heat, the kind of day that asks nothing extraordinary of you. Just the work. Just the oxen. Just the rhythm of the Plow breaking familiar ground. Elisha had no reason to expect anything different. He was not in a temple. He was not on his knees in a sacred place with his hands folded and his heart prepared. He was working, dusty, ordinary, unremarkable. The twelfth pair of oxen ahead of him, and the long day still unfolding. And then a cloak fell across his shoulders. No announcement. No trumpet. Just the quiet, unmistakable weight of it. 1 Kings 19:19 — "Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him." I have to be honest with you. I almost missed it. I have been walking through a dry season lately. The kind where the ground of your soul feels cracked and the sky feels distant, and you find yourself searching your own heart with a fine-tooth comb. Wondering what you are missing. Wondering if God has gone quiet or if you simply stopped hearing Him. My mind has been a battlefield. I won't dress that up. Some mornings I wake up and I can barely find my footing before the thoughts begin. And yet, and yet, something has been whispering that I am not as alone as it feels. I believe someone has been praying for me. I can feel it the way you feel warmth before you see the fire. Then this morning, this verse stopped me cold. Elisha wasn't seeking a calling. He wasn't fasting or praying for direction or waiting on a mountaintop. He was simply present, faithful in the ordinary, and Elijah found him. The cloak was not placed on someone who had everything together. It was placed on a working man, mid-stride, mid-furrow, mid-ordinary-life. And I felt something shift in my chest as I read it. LORD is this You? I am no one special. I want to be honest about that. I am a person living an ordinary life, carrying ordinary struggles, fighting ordinary doubts. But this morning I felt the Word of God lean across the distance between Heaven and my desk and whisper; I see you. I am not finished with you. Take the cloak. I don't fully know what this new season looks like. I won't pretend that I do. But I felt something settle: quietly, powerfully. Like the weight of a mantle across tired shoulders. I am taking it. In faith, with trembling hands … I am taking it. Prayer Dear Father God, I thank You for this word that found me this morning when I was not looking for it, which is, I think, exactly how You work. I confess that I am unsure. I don't always trust my own reading of things, and my heart has been a complicated place lately. But I choose faith over feeling today. I accept the cloak You are placing over my shoulders, even though my hands are shaking as I reach for it. I believe You are moving in my life, through me, ahead of me, behind me. I believe You are drying my eyes even as I write this. I believe You are holding me in a grip I cannot break free from. Even on the days I feel most lost, and I am grateful for that. I will not worry. You know my heart better than I do, and You are not surprised by any of it. Here I am, LORD, this broken, tender, silly heart of mine let Your will be done. Don't let me go. I love You. In the precious name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and my Saviour Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#never #destroyed

https://goo.gl/xK6bTg 2 Corinthians 4: 8-9AMP “We are pressured in every way [hedged in], but not crushed; perplexed [unsure of finding a way out], but not driven to despair; hunted down and persecuted, but not deserted [to stand alone]; struck down, but never destroyed;” I realized that my emotions are something that can cause me to feel pressure and hedged in. My circumstances seem impossible and I feel that there is no way I am going to make it. Then it’s time to check what is going on in your personal life.  Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating properly? Do you take a break from time to time? If I don’t get enough sleep it seems despair is knocking at my door, and I feel miserable. I just cannot move forward, I want to curl up and died. Just because I am tired and there seems to be no way out. Emotions have a way of controlling each one of us. I realized that I will never be destroyed because there is a way forward.  God gave me common sense an...

You are a Blessing to me!

Working in a multiracial office is always interesting, and my story today is one about sharing and looking out for each other.    Our cleaning lady doesn’t earn much and I doubt even if they are paying her ‘mini mum wages’.   Nevertheless the people in our office know this and worry about her.    One of the young ladies decided to give her a newspaper with all the latest add in it.   As she paged through the paper she sat next to her and asked her ‘what do you like’.    Looking at the stuff on the page she pick out a couple of things that seemed impossible to own and said to this young girl.   I like this and I would love to have one of these. Without her knowledge the Human Resource division made a collection and they then assigned the task to the young lady to buy the things Judy wanted. We gave her, her gifts today.   I was amazed at her gratefulness, tears of joy running down her face and all she could say was “T...

Help Me Stay True in Giving God His Tithe

Can I be real with you for a minute? Tithing is something I wrestle with. I try my best to be faithful, giving to the best of my ability. But let's be honest, sometimes I look around and see others who seem to be blessed in ways I'm not. They have this financial ease, this "caliber" of blessing, that can feel a world away from my own reality. And in those moments of doubt, a quiet, gentle voice reminds me: I am blessed. God does provide. He has come through for me more times than I can count, often in ways I didn't even see until later. He's always there, picking me up when I've lost it and guiding me when I'm blind to the path. My heart is so grateful for that. But my thinking still needs work. My human nature kicks in and whispers, "I earned this. I worked for this salary." It’s a constant battle to get my heart aligned with the truth. And the truth is found in verses like this: “A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the ...