Thursday 6 August 2020

#self-centered me

by Yvette van Niekerk


Matthew 23: 11 - 12 MSG "Do you want to stand out? Then step down. Be a servant. If you puff yourself up, you'll get the wind knocked out of you. But if you're content to simply be yourself, your life will count for plenty."

As a mother, wife and grandmother I think that I have no choice in the matter of serving my family. To tell you the truth serving others does not come naturally to me. Why? I feel that I am a self-centered kind of person. I like things to go my way. I do feel ashamed about my self-centered ways and I am really working hard not to be so self-centered at time.

I wonder whether you struggle with being #self-centered? If you ask me, I believe we are selfish by nature. Looking at the two little kids I am looking after, I can tell you, the oldest is very #self-centered.

When reading my Bible, it is clear according to the Lord Jesus, life isnt all about me, and still everyting in this world revolves around "me" telling the "me" I need this and that.

The minute I get consumed by my own desires, my own needs and everything all about me, I forget about the Lord.

The Lord Jesus said: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." Matthew 16 verse 24. Think about this the Lord wants it to be His way. When I think of food I should be focusing on what the Lord Jesus said: "My food ... is to be the will of him who sent me and to finish his work." John 4 verse 34. I wish I was that kind of person who would think that "my food is to be a servant of God. I want to please Him. My food is to complete the work the Lord God sent me to do. I want to do the will of my Father and to finish His work." I am praying for this kind of divine direction in my own life, letting the self-centered person behind.

What's the message here? I believe we are to serve others, not try and get everything out of everyone. Fill others with what we have and turn to God to help us fulfil His purpose in our lives.

Prayer

O Lord, Father God, today help me to become the servant You need me to be. I am so self-centered and not concerned about others needs. I need divine direction in my own life, show me the way forward. Teach me to be a godly person, help me to listen and understand. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Follow me: Kellan Publishing; Facebook; Twitter; LinkedIn; Instagram; Pinterest; Stumble Upon; God’s Orchid  Get your copy of Daily Devotional Ebenezer

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...