Thursday 18 June 2020

Did you know - John Newton - Amazing Grace

by Yvette van Niekerk


2 Samuel 22: 20 "He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me."

John Newton (1725 - 1801) was an atheist, bully and blasphemer. I believe that John was wild and very angry when he was young. He was forced to serve as a sailor in the Royal Navy for a period. During this period he broke the rules so boldly that he was publicly flogged for desertion. His crewmates hated and feared him, and he even became a slave trader.

When Newton was twenty-three, his ship came into a severe storm off the coast of Donegal, and it almost sank. During this storm, Newton called out to God as the ship filled with water, and on the day, 10 March 1748, God rescued him. His life changed for the better. He started praying and reading the Bible. He joined up with William Wilberforce in a campaign to abolish the slave trade and was the leader in this campaign.

William Wilberforce, in the campaign, to abolish the slave trade, and became a leading light in that campaign.

Newton is the author of the hymn "Amazing Grace" "Amazing grace! How sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now I'm found, Was blind, but now I see."

Prayer

Lord Jesus, I want to pray that You Lord will rescue me, save me and set me free, deliver me from danger or any attack or harm. You, Lord Jes, bring me into a spacious place. Thank You, Lord. Amen

Follow me: Kellan Publishing; Facebook; Twitter; LinkedIn; Instagram; Pinterest; Stumble Upon
God’s Orchid  Get your copy of Daily Devotional Ebenezer

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...