Thursday 27 February 2020

Marriage? How is yours?





Ecclesiastes 9: 9 (TLB)
9 "Live happily with the woman you love through the fleeting days of life, for the wife God gives you is your best reward down here for all your earthly toil."

I was 18 years old when I first got married, and I didn't think it was strange as many of my school friends also got married at that age. When I was 21, I already had two small kids. Then divorces were comment, but realistically today, its even worse. I wonder why our marriages don't last. I was married for 21 years before I decided enough. I wanted to change my environment and feel safer.

How can I ensure that my current marriage doesn't fail? I think the most important thing is to learn to show my love. I still struggle with showing respect, and it's almost foreign to me. I know I crave appreciation, and I believe we all seek that in our lives. I try and show gratitude towards my husband and all my children. 

Something I have become accustomed to is my husband paying attention. I do admire him for the tentative listening of what I say. I know my husband loves me, and he shows it. Buying me a flower and just listening to what my needs are. He always asks if there isn't something he can do for me.

We enjoy taking a bath together, and I feel that is the only real-time we spend alone. Just my husband and myself, then I feel free to speak to him about my problems and how I think. Sometimes it's not a good thing because we cannot get away from each other, and the conversations hot up. I believe Proverbs 18 verses 22 "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord." I am grateful for my husband, and I respect him for who he is.

In my marriage, I have come to know who I am. I feel I can grow in my marriage as the person I am. I don't have to put on airs and graces. My character changes every day. I see how I have matured over the last ten years, and I also know that I am more compassionate. 

One thing that is very important to me, we are safe. I don't have to worry something terrible is going to happen to us.

Prayer

Lord, Almighty God, thank You for a marriage that You are here. I am grateful for the knowledge that I am safe and that my husband loves me. I am also thankful that he considers my feelings and cares for my wellbeing. You are lovely, Lord, I worship You today. Blessing is over my family; thank You, Lord. Amen

Yvette van Niekerk

Get your copy of Daily Devotional Ebenezer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...