Tuesday 3 July 2018

Lord, Search my Heart when I Fast


Matthew 6:16-18 (MSG)
16-18 “When you practice some appetite-denying discipline to better concentrate on God, don’t make a production out of it. It might turn you into a small-time celebrity but it won’t make you a saint. If you ‘go into training’ inwardly, act normal outwardly. Shampoo and comb your hair, brush your teeth, wash your face. God doesn’t require attention-getting devices. He won’t overlook what you are doing; he’ll reward you well.”

The Lord Jesus teaches us to find a quiet place and pray openly before God.  In our prayer, we are reminded to speak simply and honest with the Lord.  In our prayers we will move our focus off ourselves and focus on the LORD, that is when we will sense God’s grace.

In our prayers, we want to draw near to the LORD and reestablish our relationship with the Lord our God.  Our fast is about God and we want to ask Him to assist us going forward. 

I find the days when I fast I seem to attract a lot of attention and people seem to be on my case.  It would be petty stuff but they would have their guns blazing and ready to fire when I am in my fast.  They don’t even know I am fasting and that I am fragile.

I believe it is important to draw near to the Lord God in humble prayer and then continue with our fast.

Dress up and look the part, you are at work and it isn’t necessary to tell people you are fasting.  When someone invites you to lunch you could say “thanks but I don’t feel like anything right now” and not “o, no I’m fasting today.”  You lost the blessings God has for you.

Take heart, I believe God knows the motives of our hearts.

Prayer

Abba Father, Lord You know the motives of my heart and You know that I want to draw near to You. Please accept my fast as an offering to You, my sincere thoughts and I pray please cleans my heart and create in me a pure spirit. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen

Inspired by today’s devotion? Share it with someone!

Follow me: 
Get your copy of Daily Devotional Ebenezer



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...