Wednesday 11 August 2021

I am confessing that I am not tactful anymore.

by Yvette van Niekerk
I am confessing that I am not tactful anymore. Colossians 4: 6 "Let your conversation be gracious and attractive." My policy is and will be "honesty is the best policy". I keep to this as one of my many creeds. Unfortunately, I have become mean-spirited, I am frustrated, irritated, disappointed and very angry at certain people. They seem to go out of their way to bait me, and I keep falling into their traps. This verse shook me today. I feel very convicted by the Word of God today, and I believe God is drawing my attention to this problem. There must be a remedy for someone like me. I lost the ability to speak kindly and listen to them as I am already on my guard. I believe I will have to focus on learning and developing a new conversational skill. I need to remove my emotions number one from the conversation so that I can listen. Then I need to focus on my sensitivity toward them and see if I can control my attitude. I keep on hearing just remember you are the adult and they are still young kids. Now how am I going to exhibit graciousness in my conversations towards them? Tricky, I need to practice being friendly and kind when I see them. Then I get hit over the head with a stick constantly by people telling me aren't supposed to be a Spirit-filled Christian, who is in control. It's easier said than done, I have been perpetuating the communication style of my family and it's hard to change it. According to my husband, I can tell the truth tactfully. Shamefully I am standing here with this problem and I read in John 1 verse 7 "For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth come through Jesus Christ." What can I learn from the Lord Jesus Christ? The Lord Jesus Christ never allowed courtesy and kindness to prevent Him from telling the truth, and never in a mean-spirited way. I need to take a page out of the Lord Jesus Christ book today. What do you think I should do? The remedy I believe is to take a moment before I speak to the person and think of the response I want to give. I need to learn how to evaluate the impact my words will have on the situation. I do believe if I want to succeed I will have to consult with the Holy Spirit. I want the Holy Spirit to help me develop my emotional self going forward. Prayer Father God, Lord You, know my heart and what I am facing each day. I confess that I am guilty of having no tact and that I have become mean-spirited. It's clear by the way I treat people closest to me. I am sorry Lord. Lord because I am stubborn and full of myself, I am humbly asking that a guard be placed over my mouth. I also need clearness of mind so that I can think before I speak. Please Holy Spirit, You know I am trying to live a holy life and this is not the way forward. Lord, I surrender my life into Your hands today, I pray that You will place a guard over my mouth, and start teaching me to speak to people graciously and attractively. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...