Wednesday 22 April 2020

Holy Communion ~ Covid-19




by Yvette van Niekerk

In participating in Holy Communion, Christians are reminded of the suffering the Lord Jesus Christ had gone through. The breaking of His body and the shedding of His blood. Indicating the love the Lord Jesus felt for us as sinners.

Matthew 26: 26 - 30 AMP
The Lord's Supper Instituted
"Now as they were eating Jesus took bread, and after blessing it, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, 'Take, eat; this is My body.' And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you; for this is My Blood of the [new and better] covenant, which [ratifies the agreement and] is being poured out for many [as a substitutionary atonement] for the forgiveness of sins. But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom. After singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives."

See also 1 Corinthians 11: 23 - 26 AMP

Where did the Holy Communion come from? 

We are instructed by the Lord Jesus Christ to participate in the Holy Communion as a reminder of what He has done for us His children.

John 6: 48 - 51 AMP "I am the Bread of Life [the Living Bread, which gives and sustains life]. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is that Bread that comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the Living Bread that came down out of heaven. If anyone eats of this Bread [believes in Me, accepts Me as Savior], he will live forever. And the Bread that I will give for the life of the world is My flesh (body)."

Jesus tells us clearly that He is the Bread of Life. When you and I eat of the Holy Communion, we are eating of the Bread of Life. This Bread will sustain us, we will never go hungry or thirsty because Jesus Christ is our provider.

I stand on the Word of God, confirming the Lord Jesus is our Bread of Life as well as our thirst quencher. John 6: 35 AMP, "Jesus replied to them, I am the Bread of Life. The one who comes to Me will never be hungry, and the one who believes in Me [as Savior] will never be thirsty [for that one will be sustained spiritually]."

If I wanted to take Holy Communion every day, would it be a sin?

For anyone to use the Holy Communion, we must become believers of the Lord Jesus Christ. You have to become a born again Christian, someone who has reflected upon their lives, self-examination and repentance, and then confession of sins.

Notwithstanding, the Lord Jesus Christ made the ultimate sacrifice so that we could inherit eternal life. Every time we take Holy Communion, we as Christians are confessing that we are looking forward to our eternal life in heaven that Jesus Christ has prepared for us to enjoy hereafter, through His death and resurrection.

Acts 2: 42 - 46 AMP "They were continually and faithfully devoting themselves to the instruction of the apostles, and to fellowship, to eating meals together and to prayers. A sense of awe was felt by everyone, and many wonders and signs (attesting miracles) were taking place through the apostles. And all those who had believed [in Jesus as Savior] were together and had all things in common [considering their possessions to belong to the group as a whole]. And they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing the proceeds with all [the other believers], as anyone had need. Day after day, they met in the temple [area] continuing with one mind, and breaking Bread in various private homes. They were eating their meals together with joy and generous hearts,"

We have a chance to celebrate the Lord Jesus and recognize what He has done for us.

Is there a reason not to use Holy Communion?

1 Corinthians 11 verse 27 to 31 AMP that "So then whoever eats the Bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in a way that is unworthy [of Him] will be guilty of [profaning and sinning against] the body and blood of the Lord. But a person must [prayerfully] examine himself [and his relationship to Christ], and only when he has done so should he eat of the Bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks [without solemn reverence and heartfelt gratitude for the sacrifice of Christ], eats and drinks judgment on himself if he does not recognize the body [of Christ]. That [careless and unworthy participation] is the reason why many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep [in death]. But if we evaluated and judged ourselves honestly [recognizing our shortcomings and correcting our behavior], we would not be judged."

We need to first check ourselves before we take the Holy Communion so that we are not under judgment by the Lord.


Why Communion?

Is it for Bread and wine? No. It's not about the Bread or the wine. It is about the Lord Jesus. We receive our spiritual flesh and blood, Christ living in us and we in Him. I think taking Holy Communion allows me to live a life in Christ and so I have eternal life and I will be resurrected on the last day.

1 Peter 3 verses 18 AMP says; "For indeed Christ died for sins once for all, the Just and Righteous for the unjust and unrighteous [the Innocent for the guilty] so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the Spirit;"

The Bible teaches us that through Holy Communion, we now are connected with the Lord Jesus Christ not only in memory of His death but in the spiritual life He gives to us. I believe we are strengthened by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Prayer

Thank You, Father God, for letting me join You today at Your table, as I partake in the Holy Communion blesses this to my body. Thank You, Lord Jesus, for the sacrifice You made on behalf of a sinful person like myself, I celebrate You today as my Lord and Savior. Amen

Yvette van Niekerk

Get your copy of Daily Devotional Ebenezer



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...