Wednesday 1 April 2020

Lord, help me to be kind.





1 Corinthians 8:1 (AMP)
Take Care with Your Liberty

8 "Now about food sacrificed to idols, we know that we all know [concerning this]. Knowledge [alone] makes [people self-righteously] arrogant, but love [that unselfishly seeks the best for others] builds up and encourages others to grow [in wisdom]."

So the thing about communication, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I have been told this on so many occasions.

I tend to speak my mind, and I forget to put the filters on because, at the moment, I am angry and want to hurt you. Practicing common decency is essential when it comes to our marriages. The way we speak to each other shows how much you love one another. In the scripture above, we should build up and encourage our other half. Now I am not perfect, and I am in the process of learning to watch my words. I do not want to speak mean-spirited words tearing down the people I love. 

I have realized that it isn't worth my while in continually fighting and tearing people down. I am hurt, and now I am lashing out, hurting someone else. Would God be happy with my actions? If I truly love my husband 1 Corinthians 13, verses five says "love - it is not rude; it is not self-seeking, it is not provoked [nor overly sensitive and easily angered]; it does not take into account a wrong endured." So I think no, I need to check my words.

I want to be able to share my deepest feelings and emotions with my husband. If I keep being nasty, he won't listen to me, and I am going to feel unsafe. My prayer is that God will help me repent of harmful speech and convert my thought life. And we are married, and compatibility is vital for both of us. On that point, I know that our words have power, I have heard this saying on more than one occasion, and I believe the Word of God. Proverbs 18:21 (AMP) 
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it and indulge it will eat its fruit and bear the consequences of their words."

Prayer

Lord God, when it comes to communication and words, I seem to have too many words and no compassion. Lord, I repent of my sarcasm and hurtful speech, and I pray, please forgive me. Today, please teach me to speak words that are loving and kind. Words that are uplifting and positive, words that encourage and are life-giving. Lord, today I want to ask You to take charge of my marriage. I am willing to do whatever it takes Lord to improve my communication with my husband. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen


Yvette van Niekerk

Get your copy of Daily Devotional Ebenezer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

God give me the power to become All You made me to be.

Grant me the strength, O God, to manifest the fullness of your design for me. As I venture into new territories, I am uncertain about the s...